Sunday, November 6, 2011

Friends

Alright, what's up everyone. Man, school has been crazy for me so far. So many assignments and things to do! This last week I had three exams: Biology 3300 (microbiology), microbiology lab, and Geology 1110. Let's just say... I was pretty dead by the end of the weak. And let's also say, that my motivation and endurance was completely gone. By the time the weekend came around, I was in desperate need of a pick-me-up.

During the weekend, I was able to spend some good quality time with some of my closest friends. As the weekend went on, I noticed how much happier I was than during the few days before. My friends were exactly that pick-me-up I needed.

Then I started thinking... almost all my closest friends I have in my life right now are people I met at Utah State. I really don't hang out with people from my high school anymore. Well, I mean, I do live with two people I graduated with, but that's pretty rare. I remember back during my freshman year when most of the people I hung out with were people I graduated from Viewmont High with (class of 2009...Go Vikings!). But, even during that year, by the time Spring Semester came around, the people I hung out with were new people I had met in my classes and such.

And as I kept thinking about all the people I've met at Utah State, I began to really realize how big of an impact these people have on me. My friends at Utah State come from all over the world, from different backgrounds, and each have their own story to tell. It's amazing how much I've learned from having met all these different people. They've taught me about the world, about different cultures, about different trials in our lives, about all the good times they've had, and all the bad times. In the end, they have shaped me into the person I am today.

Of course, classes can teach you a lot. Sure. You can grow and expand your mind within a classroom and by studying for your classes. These are great for your careers and future endeavors. But, as I'm now almost halfway through my third year at Utah State, I've learned that the people I've met and the things I've experienced with them, have taught me so much more than any course could ever dream of teaching me.

Hopefully this post wasn't too sappy... if so, oh well. For those of you preparing to come to Utah State, prepare to meet so many people your heads will spin. When you're up here in Logan, focus on your studies, but give special attention to your friends and the new people in your life. I promise, a new friendship outweighs an A on an exam any day.

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment